Friday, April 20, 2012

New Moon Reflections

Tonight is the new moon, a night of reflection. A night where I shed old habits and create new ones. A night of introspection.

Last week, an old friend of mine (read: 15 years of friendship), passed away. If the rumors are to be believed, he was an alcoholic and did drugs. He was also obese and suffered from sleep apnea. He had just had his birthday party, six days after his actual birthday, and had passed out, drunk, in his car. I don't know how the night played out. I just know that he was found the next morning no longer alive.

I met Luis in middle school, at Fairway Middle School, which no longer exists, when we were in the 6th grade and 11 years old. He had just turned 26 on the 8th. I went to his funeral yesterday morning. Life is short. Very. Incredibly. Short. He left behind a two-year-old son.

I fell apart yesterday (Thursday) at that funeral. Listening to his mother cry out "My Baby! My only baby boy!" and her begging for him to wake up and come out of that coffin was more than I could take. Seeing friends I hadn't seen in years because we had all grown up, moved away and started our adult lives, but were all brought together over the loss of someone we held dear. I hate the fact that I reconnect with others after someone dies. I like these people, enjoy their company, but the only time we ever see each other is because of the passing of a friend.

I'm still reeling. I'll be 26 in June. If I were to die less then a week from my birthday, would I be satisfied with what I have done with my life? Have a given an example for my children to look up to? What legacy am I leaving behind?

A lot to think about tonight. A lot to think about.

Descanse en paz, hermano. Rest in peace, bro.

1 comment:

Lisa Morris said...

Remember the precious moment you both shared & you will feel him round you~The connection will never be broken~Love is Limitless~Namaste~*