Monday, June 28, 2010

Common Misconceptions of Christianity

Oh yes. I'm going there.

As you obviously already know, I am not Christian. I do not have any problems with Christianity as a whole. It is just a religion that is not for me. There are areas in the teachings that I do not agree with I do not feel comfortable with. If I don't feel comfortable, I'm not going to follow. That's just my own personal philosophy in everything. Again, I have no problem with the religion, it's some of the people who call themselves 'Christian' that I don't like.

Anyway, one thing that I have noticed is how people like to make comments about certain religions without actually knowing what they are talking about. It's one of those moments where I am left telling them that their stupid is showing. A lot of stupid is spewed against certain religions. Paganism is high on that list. However, Christianity is not immune either. Here is a small list I have compiled just for my own amusement.

Misconception: The Trinity is One.
Truth: Nowhere in the Bible does is state that Jesus is God and that God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus are all one being. It does mention them as a unit. But like my daughter and husband are all aspects of one family, we are not One. Throughout the New Testament Jesus is found saying, quite frequently, that he is not better than his Father. On the contrary, he always says that he is inferior to his Father. The Holy Spirit is used as a messenger for the divine. If the Trinity were in fact one, they would be called Unity, don't you think? And in Genesis, would the plural, "Let us", still be used? I think not.

Misconception: The Bible is pure fiction
Truth: Whether or not you believe in Divinity, or, in this case, Jehovah, the Bible can actually be scientific. The Bible actually reveals that the Earth is round and hangs in a void.
  • "He spreads out the northern [skies] over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing" -Job 26:7 (New International Version [NIV])
  • "He has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters At the boundary of light and darkness" - Job 26:10 (New American Standard Bible)
  • "When he established the heavens, I was there; when he drew a circle on the face of the deep" - Proverbs 8:27 (English Standard Version)
  • "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers." -Isaiah 40:22 (NIV);
This is just one topic. You can even find the water cycle and the destruction of cities in the Bible.

I'm sure there are a lot more misconceptions of Christianity out there, I just can't think of any right now. These two are in the front of my mind only because they were mentioned earlier in my day.

And now you know. :)

No comments: