Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day Two: Reflections: Birthday

Today marked my 24th birthday. I was bombarded with e-mails, phone calls, text messages, and other forms of electronic messaging, all wishing me a wonderful and happy birthday. It made me realize just how blessed I am to have so many wonderful people in my life.

I spent the day with my family. Though I am obviously old enough to go to a club or bar, get drunk and party, I'm not that kind of girl. I had a few errands to run, which I did, but I enjoyed spending this time with my husband and daughters. They are special to me and having another year of my life spent with them is a blessing. Even though my children were acting like they had just snorted crack and were high on life, I liked having shared my birthday with them. Having all these people take the time, if even just a second, to wish me a happy birthday had me appreciating the time I've spent on this planet.

So my reflection for today was focused on how wonderful the people I have in my life are. Yes, they are human and have their moments of what-the-fuckery and hatefulness, but they are there for me, and I for them. I appreciate any time they give me. I know sometimes it is not always easy to take the time to just say a hello or a kind word, but the fact that someone out there does that for me makes me feel...I don't have words to express it. It's positive and priceless; that's all I can say about it.

I have been blessed by having friends who call me at midnight to say hi and wish me a great day, who message me at the end of the day to make sure that I had a great day. I have siblings who made a contest to see who wished me a happy birthday first (ready, set, SEND!) and a mother who mentioned how dumb my siblings can be. I have a mother in law who took the time to ask me if there was something special I wanted to for birthday, and a bunch of friends who not only wished me a happy birthday, but attached a fond memory to make sure I had a smile. I couldn't ask for more. Yes, my house is a mess. Yes, I still need to pack for my trip to visit family. Yes, I'm anxious and stressed. my joints hurt thanks to this humidity, and my children are bat-shit crazy, but I couldn't ask for more. I am loved and wish to love in return.

What small thing are you blessed with that you take for granted?

No comments: