Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Words

Day Two involves words that may be uspetting to use or hear and are listed below:

Wicca; Witchcraft; Power; Ritual; Magic; Occult; Pagan; Spell; Earth-religion

What is my comfort level in using each word? (I used a scale of 1-10; with 10 being most comfotable, 1 being uncomfortable, and 5 being nuetral.)

Wicca-9; Witchcraft-6; Power-10; Ritual-10; Magic-7; Occult-5; Pagan-10; Spell-5; Earth-religion-5

How do I understand each word?
I see Wicca as not only a religion, but as a lifestyle centering itself around the energies within the universe. Witchcraft is the practice of folklore, ancient beliefs passed down from generation to generation built on culture, upbringing, and instinct. Power is how I describe energy, the universal ALL that is. Ritual is something you do every day; daily rituals, as well as seasonal rituals, to honor the mundane and the ethereal. I rarely use the word Occult. I see it as the meaning of dark mysteries and I have yet to feel that my path is a mysterious mystery. Pagan is what I define those who go down to their country beliefs and worship accordingly; the beliefs that everyone had once grown up on before the Judeo-Christian movement. I see spells as another form of prayer; sometimes convaluted prayer. :) And earth-religion is just any religion that centers around the energy, worship, restoration of the earth.

How do I imagine that each word impacts othe people who are not involved with Wicca?
From my own experiences it is based on a combination of upbringing and belief that will effect the reaction of these words from others. Many people have not a clue what Wicca is, or even Pagan. As soon as you mention earth-religion and witchcraft, they automatically think of hippies or devil-worship. Some quickly jump to that conclusion regardless of proper definition. I think most of it is based in fear of the mysteries involved, the Occult, per se. Spells and magic are usually scoffed at, with the thinking attached to The Craft and Harry Potter. Most reactions are based on fear, ignorance, and just downright stupidity. I don't even want to think to far into it; it grates my nerves.

~~~~~

It is a new moon, and therefore a time of reflection.

I feel disconnected. I have so much on my plate right now that I feel as if I am watching my life as a third-party instead of actually living it. To feel more connected to everyone I have taken responsibilty for the Circle's quartly newsletter. I like that it only comes only 8 times in the course of a year, giving me plenty of time to do each issue.

Between work, school, homeschool, bills, religious practice, and life itself, I just don't know where I am heading 90% of the time.

No comments: